buildscripts-20080516 problems

Samson

buildscripts-20080516 problems

Post by Samson » Mon May 19, 2008 8:20 am

I'm trying to build devkitPPC on OS/X:
- the script defines GDB_VER=6.8 for ppc, but the patches directory contains only the gdb-6.7.1.patch
- resuming a build seems to be broken, $SRCDIR doesn't seem to be set if the downloaded_sources step is skipped

Would it be better to decompress/patch/build packages in order, so if one package fails to patch or build that you don't have to start over from the beginning? And what about saving config.sh after going through the interactive mode?
Otherwise, I like the new directory layout, and can't wait to try the fixed gx functions.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: buildscripts-20080516 problems

Post by WinterMute » Mon May 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Wait for the next set of buildscripts, that set was mainly intended for devkitARM and wasn't tested with devkitPPC. We're putting the final touches on libogc right now, hopefully it won't be much longer. In the meantime either changing the gdb version in the release scripts or grabbing the gdb 6.8 patch from CVS should get you up and running if you haven't done that already.

Decompressing & patching in order with cookies set for those stages is a pretty good idea, I'll take a look at doing that for the next release. Building the packages in between might be a bit awkward though, the scripts could do with a bit of tidying up given how they sort of evolved from something to make things easier for me into something a bit more user friendly.

Welcome to the devkitPro forums btw, great to see you here.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

Samson

Post by Samson » Mon May 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Ok, I came home from work today to find that it didn't build - because Safari decided to save the patch as .patch.txt. Sigh.
Now I've got everything built except doltool (sys/endian.h doesn't exist) and the dsp suite (tchar.h doesn't exist). I'll see what I can do.

neglectoru

Post by neglectoru » Wed May 28, 2008 6:07 pm

You got a lot farther than I did.

On Mac OS X, I needed to install mpfr and gmp. I used macports.org to install these packages.

I then needed to modify the gcc 4.3 build script to use my versions mfpr and newlib

In buildscripts/dkarm-eabi/scripts/build-gcc.sh I added

Code: Select all

CFLAGS="-D__USE_MINGW_ACCESS -I/opt/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib" ../../$GCC_SRCDIR/configure \
But, when it built newlib 1.16.0, I got the following error:

arm-eabi-ar cru lib.a lib_a-sysclose.o lib_a-sysfcntl.o lib_a-sysfstat.o lib_a-sysgetpid.o lib_a-sysgettod.o lib_a-syskill.o lib_a-syslink.o lib_a-syslseek.o lib_a-sysopen.o lib_a-sysread.o lib_a-syssbrk.o lib_a-sysstat.o lib_a-systimes.o lib_a-sysunlink.o lib_a-syswrite.o lib_a-sysexecve.o lib_a-sysfork.o lib_a-syswait.o 
arm-eabi-ranlib lib.a
Making all in .
rm -f libc.a
rm -rf tmp
mkdir tmp
cd tmp; \
	 for i in argz/lib.a stdlib/lib.a ctype/lib.a search/lib.a stdio/lib.a  string/lib.a signal/lib.a time/lib.a locale/lib.a reent/lib.a  errno/lib.a misc/lib.a   syscalls/lib.a  machine/lib.a sys/lib.a; do \
	   arm-eabi-ar x ../$i; \
	 done; \
	arm-eabi-ar rc ../libc.a *.o
arm-eabi-ar: ../misc/lib.a: No such file or directory
arm-eabi-ranlib libc.a
rm -rf tmp
gnumake[7]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gnumake[6]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gnumake[5]: *** [all] Error 2
gnumake[4]: *** [multi-do] Error 1
gnumake[3]: *** [all-multi] Error 2
gnumake[2]: *** [all] Error 2
gnumake[1]: *** [all-target-newlib] Error 2
gnumake: *** [all] Error 2
Error building newlib

Samson

Post by Samson » Wed May 28, 2008 7:28 pm

Strange, I didn't have other problems on 10.4, but the again I've got a bunch of other packages already installed from earlier adventures. On my laptop running 10.3 I had to upgrade to the latest version or GNU-make to accept a patsubst macro, but I was able to convince it to build everything in the end as well. Maybe these problems are specific to devkitARM?
---
Update: Yes, the version of GCC that is used for PPC doesn't yet require gmp or mpfr. I'll have a look later today if I can get it built.
---
Update: Same problem here. I'll have to check tomorrow if I can fix it.

neglectoru

Post by neglectoru » Thu May 29, 2008 2:42 am

I'm using gcc 4 on Mac OS X 10.5 I'm using gnu make 3.8.1

Update: I installed gnu awk from macports, replacing the awk that comes with Mac OS X. Now, I get basically the same error message as I get when I compile under linux:

arm-eabi-gcc -B/Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/arm-eabi/newlib/arm-eabi/be/newlib/ -isystem /Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/arm-eabi/newlib/arm-eabi/be/newlib/targ-include -isystem /Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/newlib-1.16.0/newlib/libc/include -B/Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/arm-eabi/newlib/arm-eabi/be/libgloss/arm -L/Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/arm-eabi/newlib/arm-eabi/be/libgloss/libnosys -L/Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/newlib-1.16.0/libgloss/arm  -mbig-endian -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"newlib\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"newlib\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1.16.0\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"newlib\ 1.16.0\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -I. -I../../../../../../../newlib-1.16.0/newlib/libc/misc -O2 -D__NO_SYSCALLS__ -fno-builtin      -DREENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED  -mbig-endian -c -o lib_a-init.o `test -f 'init.c' || echo '../../../../../../../newlib-1.16.0/newlib/libc/misc/'`init.c
../../../../../../../newlib-1.16.0/newlib/libc/misc/init.c:62:2: error: #error why am I not defined
gnumake[8]: *** [lib_a-init.o] Error 1

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Thu May 29, 2008 4:37 am

neglectoru wrote: I then needed to modify the gcc 4.3 build script to use my versions mfpr and newlib
Your versions of mpfr & newlib?

I imagine that's your problem really. Is there some reason you can't use the binary distribution?
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

neglectoru

Post by neglectoru » Thu May 29, 2008 5:21 am

WinterMute wrote:[
Your versions of mpfr & newlib?

I imagine that's your problem really. Is there some reason you can't use the binary distribution?
I misspoke. In order to compile gcc, I needed to install mpfr and gmp. Even after installing (on both Mac and Linux), I got the #error when devkitARM attempted to compile newlib.

I'm curious why the buildscripts don't work for me, since I have a pretty standard setup (Ubuntu 8.04 with, I think, relevant dev packages installed, and Mac OS X 10.5).

I'll try the binary distribution on both platforms, but then, I suppose, I need to compile libgba and libnds by hand (since the binary distributions don't come with these packages, right?)

bsder

Post by bsder » Thu May 29, 2008 6:53 am

neglectoru wrote:I'm using gcc 4 on Mac OS X 10.5 I'm using gnu make 3.8.1

Update: I installed gnu awk from macports, replacing the awk that comes with Mac OS X. Now, I get basically the same error message as I get when I compile under linux:

arm-eabi-gcc -B/Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/arm-eabi/newlib/arm-eabi/be/newlib/ -isystem /Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/arm-eabi/newlib/arm-eabi/be/newlib/targ-include -isystem /Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/newlib-1.16.0/newlib/libc/include -B/Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/arm-eabi/newlib/arm-eabi/be/libgloss/arm -L/Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/arm-eabi/newlib/arm-eabi/be/libgloss/libnosys -L/Users/neglectoru/b/buildscripts/newlib-1.16.0/libgloss/arm  -mbig-endian -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"newlib\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"newlib\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1.16.0\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"newlib\ 1.16.0\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -I. -I../../../../../../../newlib-1.16.0/newlib/libc/misc -O2 -D__NO_SYSCALLS__ -fno-builtin      -DREENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED  -mbig-endian -c -o lib_a-init.o `test -f 'init.c' || echo '../../../../../../../newlib-1.16.0/newlib/libc/misc/'`init.c
../../../../../../../newlib-1.16.0/newlib/libc/misc/init.c:62:2: error: #error why am I not defined
gnumake[8]: *** [lib_a-init.o] Error 1
Congratulations. You hit the irritating HAVE_INITFINI_ARRAY problem. Only this time, using an older version of gmake doesn't seem to help. I just tried to compile this under CentOS 5.1, and it blew up in the exact same place.

WinterMute, what exact version and distribution of Linux and gmake do you use to compile things up? If you tell me that, I'll build a virtual machine that matches and try to see what the difference is that let you build it but is tripping us up.

neglectoru

Post by neglectoru » Thu May 29, 2008 5:12 pm

I tried building with various configurations of software

make 3.80 (which I built myself) or make 3.81 (ubuntu default)
gcc 4.2.3 (ubuntu default) or gcc 4.3 (which I built myself)

in all four configurations, it died in the same place.