Linux Installer

Got something cool to help make the toolchains better? Post it here.
Orkie

Linux Installer

Post by Orkie » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:01 am

devkitPro toolchains are now installed and managed via devkitPro pacman. No scripts are required.

I've put together an ncurses installer for Linux, based on buildroot (it looks the same as menuconfig when building the kernel). It will automatically download, extract and optionally edit ~/.bashrc to add the needed environment variables for compiling stuff with the devkitARM and devkitPPC toolchains, as well as compiling all the examples you choose to install. It is also possible to perform updates using it. Somebody could adapt the code for other *NIX systems in the future since it is pretty standard bash/make/awk/C (with curses) code.

http://x11.gp2x.de/devkitpro/devkitPro- ... ux.tar.bz2
Last edited by Orkie on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
<Erant> If you wipe your ass with a piece of paper with GPLed sourcecode on it, you have to make your poo public domain.

Patater

Re: Linux Installer

Post by Patater » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:48 pm

Ooo, this looks sweet. I maintain the Macintosh installer package. I may have to look over your scripts and see what I can use to make the Macintosh installer better. Unfortunately I'm going to be busy this week.

Orkie

Post by Orkie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:57 pm

We were wondering in IRC the other day (after you'd left) whether it would be feasible to run the scripts pretty much as they are (or with a few changes to get the ncurses code running if needed) on OS X. That'd mean that if you were able to package your binaries as tarballs rather than disk images (or whatever OS X uses), the scripts could download and extract something like devkitarm-r21-{OS}.tar.bz2 (using user-set variables to decide what needs to be downloaded) so only one *NIX installer need be maintained. It'd mean binaries for pretty much any system could be added if anybody turned up who wanted to maintain them.

I don't know a lot about OS X, so that may not be at all possible :D.
<Erant> If you wipe your ass with a piece of paper with GPLed sourcecode on it, you have to make your poo public domain.

Orkie

Post by Orkie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:20 pm

I've updated the link in the first post. The original 0.2 package segfaulted because devkitPro-installer/Config.in needs a blank line at the end, which was missing :D.

Orkie

Post by Orkie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:31 am

Updated again, now on 0.3. This version will now only extract updated packages, not everything each and every time. Also, File_linux is gone from the ini file, it just uses File now.

Orkie

Post by Orkie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:32 pm

Another release! Now uses the same ini file as the Windows installer, stored on the devkitPro website, so updates should be available through the installer as soon as the Windows updater can see them. Also added some more code to make it easier to support different *NIX systems, and different processor architectures if binaries are ever released for them.

Typhox

Post by Typhox » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:37 am

Hello,

I've been asked to write a report about using this installer on a 64-bit Ubuntu.
I have to say: It works now perfectly.
To get it work you musn't run the installer (make) as root or with sudo power.
It is needed to create the folder "/usr/local/devkitPro/" before and give it chmod 777.
Or you do chmod -R 777 /usr/local.
Nice work!

Thanx, Typhox

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:06 pm

Typhox wrote: Or you do chmod -R 777 /usr/local.
Um, you shouldn't really do that, it kind of defeats the point of your security permissions. You could always run the installer as root instead.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

Orkie

Post by Orkie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:26 pm

I generally do "mkdir /usr/local/devkitPro && chown {user}:{user} /usr/local/devkitPro" as root before running the installer. Mostly because I sometimes have to move things around when working on the installer and logged in as my non-root account.

san

Post by san » Mon May 26, 2008 11:32 am

I just tried the installer, which is looking quite good, but it does not seem to work. I fails with version numbers including letters (r23b) and I think that some download links are outdated...