How do I update devkitARM to 23b on a Mac?

support for the ARM toolchain
sturmen

How do I update devkitARM to 23b on a Mac?

Post by sturmen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:51 pm

I've been using devkitARM r21 for a while, and just today checked the latest and saw there was a newer release. However, the new folder did not with instructions, so I used my intuition and found the matching folder and replaced the old with the new. That didn't seem to work, because I couldn't compile anything, so I had to revert back to r21. Are the proper upgrading instructions for r21-r23b?

Mac OS X 10.5.4
iMac Core 2 Duo (Intel)

sturmen

Re: How do I update devkitARM to 23b on a Mac?

Post by sturmen » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:28 pm

No one?

cynnical

Post by cynnical » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:52 pm

I would imagine deleting the whole 21 directory and replacing it with the 23b package would work. Did you upgrade libnds, libfat-nds, and dswifi as well?

What error do you get when you compile?

sturmen

Post by sturmen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:34 am

I updated lidnds, as per your suggestion, and everything worked perfectly… except PALib. I looked into it and found that PALib breaks with every new version of devkitARM, so I decided to revert to 21 and wait for PALib to be updated. Thanks for all the help! (Half sarcastic, half not).

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:06 pm

Unfortunately being impatient is going to get you a bit frustrated - we're all unpaid volunteers so sometimes other things have to take priority (much more often than we'd like really).

As for PAlib, we strongly recommend that you don't rely on that. There have been serious problems with that library in the past and our continual quest to improve devkitARM/libnds generally leaves it quite far behind.

There are some good documents around to help you work with devkitARM/libnds instead.

http://patater.com/manual

Much of the DS hardware is identical to the GBA so the tonc tutorials are a good place to get reading too.

http://www.coranac.com/category/proj/tonc/
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog