Exposing my stupidity

dumbdrunkencoder

Exposing my stupidity

Post by dumbdrunkencoder » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:28 am

I'm trying to understand the bitmap graphics in the devkitpro examples chain for the nds. The 256-color bitmap examples uses drunkencoder.png for graphics. When I try to substitute my own graphics file such as csclogo.png the makefile complains there is no rule to make csclogo.o. Huh? I don't know what that means. I try to fashion a custom program patterned after template.c but all I every get for _any_ png file is the dreaded there is no rule message. I gave up.

I went to the dev-scene tutorials. I tried to click on the link to get the demo source and was merely taken to the drunkencoders home page. Huh? I don't know how I clicked on the link wrong?

Is there anyone out there with enough patience to help this apparently stupid programmer with 40 years experience?

Thanks,
anabashedly stupid

vuurrobin

Re: Exposing my stupidity

Post by vuurrobin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:10 am

you are talking about \examples\nds\Graphics\Backgrounds\256_color_bmp, right?

have you also renamed the .grit file, because grit needs that to convert the .png to a ds friendly format.

I went to the dev-scene tutorials. I tried to click on the link to get the demo source and was merely taken to the drunkencoders home page. Huh? I don't know how I clicked on the link wrong?
it could be that the demo was removed and that instead of giving a 404 error page, that the server is redirecting you to the homepage.

dumbdrunkencoder

Post by dumbdrunkencoder » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:09 am

Oh, sorry, yes that is the example. I actually made a copy of drunkenlogo.grit and renamed it csclogo.grit. I made the leap and assumed that the .grit file was a set of grit options and believed this would be alright. I also forgot to mention that I am using Visual Studio 8 set up per Dave Murhpy's instructions to perform the make. The drunkenlogo set of data files gave me the same error when I copied them to my project data directory...hmmmmmmmmmmm. But my set of data files also produced the same error message when copied into the 256_color_bmp data directory...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm still feeling stupid. :cry:

I tried the other Color Bar Demo link and it directed me to the home page as did what looked like image tags throughout the html that I suspect are supposed to be images. I'm stilll feeling stupid.

Thanks

dumbdrunkencoder

Post by dumbdrunkencoder » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:50 am

For what it might be worth I have discovered my problem. Having quite a bit of experience with Visual Studio I am groping around in the dark when attempting to understand the makefile because I rarely used them in my career. What I did not know, being an unwilling Windows bigot but familiar with Linux, is that some processing in the exporting or searching or whatever the makefile or it's invoked processes do strictly adhere to the case of the letters in the filenames. Unfortunately the graphics file was created as CSCLOGO.png and my grit file was named csclogo.grit. Merely changing the CSCLOGO to lowercase allowed my program to make and run in my emulator with success. I feel a little less stupid. :mrgreen:

Thanks

Izhido

Post by Izhido » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:30 am

40 years of experience? Whoa... Did you, by any chance, invent the C programming language? If so, oh boy, do I have a quarrel with you...

j/k, by the way :)

dumbdrunkencoder

Post by dumbdrunkencoder » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:54 am

I actually began with IBM Basic Assembler Language and worked to higher levels up through Visual Basic. For flexibility, power, customizability, etc. I found C++ to be my preferred language. I loath black box functions and programming libraries and prefer to roll up my sleeves and do it myself. I had a quarrel with C initially until I just plodded my way through examples and trial and error and experimentation until the light bulb went off and I never looked back.