Compiling SDL-Port from CVS

support for the powerpc toolchain
lnuxguy

Compiling SDL-Port from CVS

Post by lnuxguy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Can someone post instruction on compiling SDL-Port for the Wii? I've checked it out from DevKitPro's CVS, but have gotten some errors and I'm sure I'm missing something...

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: Compiling SDL-Port from CVS

Post by WinterMute » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:56 am

Ignore the port for the time being, it was a rough port that got some things working that proved to be a little on the awkward side. I'm partially through redoing the patches for easier maintenance.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

jendave

Post by jendave » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:20 am

Have you seen the patched versions over at http://wiibrew.org/wiki/SDL-Port? They include a version of SDL, SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf, SDL_gfx and two different versions of SDL_image. It would be great to commit all of these into the official tree. If you need any help with sorting through the code and committing it, let me know. I would like to help if possible.

Dave

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:58 pm

Yes I've seen the ports, they're an absolute mess & will not be supported by devkitPro. I seriously regret committing that mess to CVS now.

There are serious issues with the way those ports are put together. I have an SDL test framework written which corrects some of the issues but I could do with some help from experienced SDL coders.

Some parts may be salvageable but the work is going to be largely starting again from the beginning.

Personal Blog

Jeema

Post by Jeema » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:47 pm

I don't understand how the version in CVS can be that bad that it's completely unsalvagable. I just used it to make a Gamecube port of the game 'SDL Sopwith' and it seemed to work ok for me (granted this wasn't a large scale application though). I mean you do have to replace the 'SDL_Config.h' header with the 'SDL_Config.h.gamecube' header and build it using 'Makefile.gamecube' but other than that I think it built ok for me. What's the specific issues exactly? And can some of us maybe help out in getting things cleaned up/reworked?

Thanks,
Ben

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:50 am

There are several issues with the current port.
  • It needs to be reworked to use the SDL configury - this will benefit maintainablility in the long run.
  • The video code should probably be using GX rather than the current yuv framebuffer method.
  • There is currently no proper separation of Wii and Cube specifics - access to wiimote vs gamepads for example.
  • The file system code should be reworked to use the libfat interface.
We're aiming towards standardizing enough that configuer && make will work with the rest of the SDL libraries as well as several other common support libraries.

Personal Blog

okachobi

Post by okachobi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Has there been any progress made on this new port of SDL?

jendave

Post by jendave » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Hi Wintermute,

yohanes of the wiiapple project (http://code.google.com/p/wiiapple/), has been working on fixing the SDL Wii port. We are trying to address some of your earlier concerns. In a previous post, you mentioned a test framework. Could you point us to that code so we can incorporate it into our work?

Thanks
Dave