Beginner Maxmod Question

support for the gba/nds sound library from www.maxmod.org

Moderator: eKid

SaBobin

Beginner Maxmod Question

Post by SaBobin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Hello,

I am just starting out using maxmod so please forgive me if my questions are very basic. What I am trying to do is modify one of the basic audio example projects so that I can use my own .wav files instead of the ones included in the project folder.

I have looked at the maxmod conversion guide to using mmutil. Is there an easy way of doing this, simply by adding my wav files into the project folder, and then manually adding the code which mmutil generates to the already present files, or do I have to use mmtil to convert the .wav files and generate new headers headers for the project?

Thus far I have not been able to convert any .wav files successfully with mmutil, does mmutil.exe need to be in the project folder when ran? How can I specify the location of the audio files I wish to add to my project?

I guess I am a bit confused as to how to go about starting a new maxmod project that is set up so that I can go ahead and start writing C code and test out the maxmod library functionality.

If anyone could help me out here that would be much appreciated.

best,
Saman

eKid

Re: Beginner Maxmod Question

Post by eKid » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm

The maxmod examples should show how to convert a folder which contains audio files. You just add your WAV file (or module) to that folder to include it in the project. You may have to do a clean build since the audio files may not be recognized by make as 'updated' content.

mmutil will create definitions in the soundbank header file (usually soundbank.h) so if you have a file called "foo.wav" it will make SFX_FOO which you use to load the sound and play it.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: Beginner Maxmod Question

Post by WinterMute » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Have a look at the maxmod basic sound example, it's really just a matter of copying wav files to maxmod_data & including the generated soundbank headers. If the wav files you copy have timestamps older than the generated nds file then it won't automatically rebuild. I still need to find some way to detect additional files, if it's even possible without changing timestamps.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog