undefined reference to '__dso_handle' problem

phileee

undefined reference to '__dso_handle' problem

Post by phileee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:00 am

I have just decided to try and update my gnu arm toolchain so that I have a coretex M3 compatible compiler setup working before my new project starts. I have downloaded the yagarto toolchain which uses: binutils: 2.20, gcc: 4.4.2, newlib: .18.0, gdb:7.0.1. I have managed to get my existing code to compile OK, but I am getting a strange linker error. I believe it has something to do with static constructors, and the ".hidden issue"? A copy of my linker output follows:

obj/system_overview.o: In function `global constructors keyed to system_overview_status_group':
system_overview.cpp:(.text+0xbd8): undefined reference to `__dso_handle'
obj/main.o: In function `global constructors keyed to display':
main.cpp:(.text+0x80): undefined reference to `__dso_handle'
c:/Arm tools/yagarto/arm-elf/lib/interwork/libc.a(lib_a-isattyr.o): In function `_isatty_r':
C:\msys\1.0\home\yagarto\newlib-build\arm-elf\interwork\newlib\libc\reent/../../../../../../newlib-1.18.0/newlib/libc/reent/isattyr.c:58: undefined reference to `_isatty'

I am looking for some help in either
1) working around the problem
2) fixing the problem.

thanks for your help.

Izhido

Re: undefined reference to '__dso_handle' problem

Post by Izhido » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Whoa.

I must admit I'm a little confused here, as many of the terms you're using here are new to me.

Could you please elaborate a little more on this "yagarto" toolchain, and its relation to devkitARM, libnds, or any of the devkitPro components? I'm assuming devkitARM, since one of the folders in the error text refers to an arm-elf directory.

Is it about some modded devkitARM build? Previous experiences with modded toolchains (or components) haven't worked so good (PALib comes to mind). We will gladly help you with any devkitARM issues you might have, but if it was modded or something, we might not be the best source for it...

(Here's hoping I'm not making an ass of myself by not knowing "yagarto" when I was supposed to... :D )

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:14 pm

Yagarto is actually a completely different toolchain to devkitARM - it was based on patchsets & scripts from an old devkitARM version which may be what has led you here. Since then we've upgraded devkitARM to arm-eabi rather than the old and somewhat problematic arm-elf.

It's difficult to say what your problem might be since I'm not familiar with current Yagarto releases, the space in the path to the tools may be an issue, gnu tools usually aren't good at dealing with that. devkitARM supports Cortex M3 too so it may be worth trying although I beleive Yagarto supplies some other tools that we don't, like openOCD. It really depends on your needs.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

phileee

Post by phileee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:15 am

Hi, thanks both for your replies. I hadn't fully appreciated that the yagarto tool chain was using an older modified devkitarm toolchain. My situation is simple, I am trying to get a JTAG debug module working with the output from a GNU compiler. I will have a look at the latest devkitarm and see if my errors go away! regards, Phil