Commercial Games

support for the powerpc toolchain
StevenH

Re: Commercial Games

Post by StevenH » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:22 am

Ghost, the official Nintendo tools are not free, and you can not use them without paying $10,000 + for them, and even if you could aford them you would have to sign an NDA, have a publisher ready for your game, as well as a few other things that I can not talk about because of said NDA - and no I'm not a Nintendo Dev.

With all the questions you've been asking about deving, I do not think you would get anywhere close to an official dev tool set from Nintendo for a few years, and by then the DS5 will be out... (DS1 = DSphat, DS2 = DSi, DS3 = 3DS)...

Ghost6765

Post by Ghost6765 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:32 am

Hey zeromus,

Do you actually know, and should I just compile it into a regular .DOL file or something else. Does it have to be a really good graphical game.

Ghost6765

Post by Ghost6765 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Does the NDA let you tell me if the Nintendo Tools are a software a machine for disc pressing or a compiler.

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:21 pm

nintendo presses all the discs at a secret factory in antarctica

Ghost6765

Post by Ghost6765 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:32 pm

Is that a joke or something. But are the nintendo tools software or a machine.

ShotgunNinja

Post by ShotgunNinja » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Also, if you want to try to apply for the official Nintendo tools, here's some links:

Nintendo Software Development Support Group (and yes, this is actually the official site):
http://www.warioworld.com/

Info for becoming an Authorized Developer:
http://www.warioworld.com/apply/

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Ghost6765 wrote:Does it have to be a really good graphical game.
It has to be good enough for nintendo to press it at their secret plant in siberia. Have you seen any really, really, really terrible wii games? Is your game going to be any better?

Samson

Post by Samson » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 am

Ghost6765 wrote:Does the NDA let you tell me if the Nintendo Tools are a software a machine for disc pressing or a compiler.
The "Nintendo Tools" is all the compilers, libraries and utilities to create a Wii game. You'll need to buy special hardware as well to run and test the game.
Nobody except Nintendo themselves can produce discs that run in a retail Wii. What happens is, once your game is finished and bug-free you send it to Nintendo, they have a reaaaaaly close look at it, and if they don't find anything wrong with it you can ask them to produce discs for you.
To do this you need to be a registered business and prove to Nintendo that you have the capabilities to develop a game for Wii. Most of the time you need to have a publisher as well, to pay for production, distribution and marketing of a game. Though you can publish a game yourself through WiiWare nowadays.

Ghost6765

Post by Ghost6765 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Is there any point for me to learn C++ now because the Nintendo Tools may use something else.

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:47 pm

Ghost6765 wrote:Is there any point for me to learn C++ now because the Nintendo Tools may use something else.
The Nintendo tools use C / C++ and in some rare cases ASM.

I would seriously consider learning C/C++ on a PC first, as well as teaching yourself 3D graphics coding using OpenGL as that is probably the closest to GX there is on the PC at the moment.