dswifi for Wii?

support for the powerpc toolchain
laggflor

dswifi for Wii?

Post by laggflor » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Hi,

is there something similar to dswifi for the Wii (or does dswifi work on the Wii)?

Thanks in advance,
best regards, Florian.

Izhido

Re: dswifi for Wii?

Post by Izhido » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Assuming that, by dswifi, you meant the WiFi-based network library available for the DS, you'll be happy to know there is an almost complete WiFi network stack implemented for the Wii. Check the example projects, there should be something of your interest in there.

laggflor

Post by laggflor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Izhido wrote:WiFi-based network library
Hm, I want to search for available networks and connect to them. I cannot find examples for it, can you point me to these?
Thanks.

Izhido

Post by Izhido » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Uh... for a Wii? What for? Remember, all network tools required to connect to a LAN/wireless network are already available through the Wii configuration menu (unlike the DS, where we actually have no choice but expose those functions to the DS application)...

... or am I missing something here?

laggflor

Post by laggflor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:54 am

Izhido wrote:Uh... for a Wii? What for? Remember, all network tools required to connect to a LAN/wireless network are already available through the Wii configuration menu (unlike the DS, where we actually have no choice but expose those functions to the DS application)...

... or am I missing something here?
No, you don't, but...
My problem is, I have to choose another wireless network almost any time I use my Wii because I seldom use it at the same place. And I have much more than three places - so saving a profile and choosing it takes some time. Also many people use the default passwords given by the ISP which are very long.

Therefore an application in the System-Menu which searches for available Networks and then passes the correct configuration to the System-Menu (or simply connects if possible that way) would be a big time saver. I know - coding the app takes some time too - I'm just evaluating the effort. Anyhow I would enjoy to shorten the time I need to start playing!

I hope I fully explanied my request. Thanks for any help so far.
regards, Florian.

laggflor

Post by laggflor » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:59 am

Since there is no real answer until now it seems to be impossible. Can someone confirm this?

Izhido

Post by Izhido » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Impossible? I don't think so. What I do think is that, until now, nobody ever thought of exposing WiFi config. info for the purpose you just mentioned. You might want to contact the people that created the toolchain & libraries, and see if you get lucky with that.

If you have access to an IRC client, point it to irc.blitzed.org, channel #wiidev . Most people involved in the creation & maintenance of devkitPPC hang out there. Good luck!

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:17 pm

Being honest this is unlikely to be a priority request, libogc handles wii network connections through Nintendo IOS and I don't know if this sort of thing is even possible.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

laggflor

Post by laggflor » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Okay, thanks. I'll look into it.