CodeLite and devkitPPC for Wii

support for the powerpc toolchain
fernandohildebrand

CodeLite and devkitPPC for Wii

Post by fernandohildebrand » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:18 am

Has anyone been able to use CodeLite both as 'compiler' and 'debbuger(remote on Wii' ?

If it's so, can you guys post a tutorial about that?

I'm trying, but no good luck so far.

eg: How to generate the .dol instead of .o? how to use wiiload from within CodeLite? How to remote debbug(gdb)?

Thanks!

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: CodeLite and devkitPPC for Wii

Post by WinterMute » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:04 am

Not so far, sorry.

It's on the TODO list as part of eventually providing CodeLite as the included editor but the necessary circular tuit is somewhat elusive. (think about it)
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

fernandohildebrand

Post by fernandohildebrand » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:14 am

Hmmm.... CodeLite uses internal Makefiles based on regular makefiles, as it just uses regular make. I've puted the compilers, debugs, libPaths of devkitPPC, and it compiles a .o file. Guess Icould rename it to .dol and use external-tools plugin to load up to Wii. About the remote debugging I'm still kinda lost.

But it seems to me that using external tools at the moment is the way to go.

Am I wrong?

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:19 pm

The devkitPro supplied Makefiles are "regular" Makefiles, they're just designed to make it easy for novices to use a proper build system without having to understand Make. CodeLite works fine with custom Makefiles and it's probably better that way than attempting to get the generated Makefiles to recreate the process.

Last time I looked at CodeLite debugging it wasn't compatible with the gdb builds supplied by us - something else that's on the aforementioned TODO list.

Personal Blog

fernandohildebrand

Post by fernandohildebrand » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:53 pm

So, basicly you're saying that there's some hardcore work to be done in CodeLite, so we could, for exmaple, at the wizard templates have a Wii kind of project.

I thought theyre debbuger was based on DDD, and completely compatible with every kind of gdb you put under it. Guess I was wrong, darn...

People at devkitPro already have too much work... Do you guys think there's a way to incline CodeLite people to our cause?

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:12 pm

It's not necessarily hardcore work - the gdb issue related to a change in the interface for later versions, it looks like it may have been fixed now.

The CodeLite templates don't currently preserve the directory structure of a project saved as a template - that's probably the first thing that should be fixed. Ideally I'd like to see a per project setting for debugging so there's no need to mess around with external tools.

The main issue here for me is that I want to put CodeLite into the devkitPro installer as the "de facto" editor and I'd like to try to avoid hacky solutions gaining traction before that happens. Unfortunately once homebrewers get into the habit of doing awkward things it seems to be very difficult to convince them that another way is better.

Personal Blog