source

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0M6HJ3AD

happy_bunny

Re: dsdoom source

Post by happy_bunny » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:30 pm

ds choc doom version 0.8 added network support

source only

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J0V0QBII

default server address in d_net.c needs to be changed to the ip address of the doom server you are running ie

//default server address
char* server_address[] = {
"192.168.1.104" //change this to your pc's ip address
};

It feels like it runs a bit slower then the prboom port for some reason :o

Izhido

Post by Izhido » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:09 am

Whoa whoa whoa...

You actually need to change the source code in order to switch servers?!?

happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:48 am

currently yes

At some point someone (maybe me) needs to add something to i_main.c that reads a server ip string from an ini file within the /data/chocdoom/ folder and places it in server_address[].

that way the source doesnt have to be recompiled every time the server changes (if I get time I will make the changes).

Asaki

Post by Asaki » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Is this project still going? Obviously, the links are all dead now =(

I was working on updating the old DS DOOM (1.1.2) to be more DS friendly, but this project sounds like it might be even better.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:36 am

The latest DS Doom is 1.2.1 which added DSi compatibility and updated the source for most recent tools. What do you mean by more DS friendly?
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

Asaki

Post by Asaki » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:45 pm

WinterMute wrote:The latest DS Doom is 1.2.1...
When I started this, 1.1.2 was the most recent version. I kind of forgot about it and am just now finishing it up.

I thought about switching to the most recent version, but I'm too lazy to update devkitARM and everything else.
WinterMute wrote:What do you mean by more DS friendly?
It's mostly just stuff for myself, little nitpicky stuff...

First I turned off the 320x200->256x192 scaling, so that I could use DOOM's internal scaling to get more speed and still have the 256x128 window fill the entire width. Obviously I had to move things around to keep them from going off the screen, and decided to just gut the entire sbar. Changed the distracting green border to black.

I also took out all of the bottom screen code. Having the automap down there was kind of a neat idea, but it wasn't working like it should have (and I only try to use it when I need it..and I thought turning it off might get an extra FPS or two, but I don't think it did). Also I didn't want the HUD stuff way down there where I couldn't see it. Going to add some code to turn off the bottom screen to save a little bit more battery.

I've changed the buttons to how I like them (and made the B button both run and use, like the GBA port was). Changed the B and A buttons to navigate the menus (which I see has been added to 1.2.1), changed X to strafe (since my R button is broken), etc. I was thinking about making it configurable, but like I said, this is mostly just for me, so I'm not too concerned.

Gutting most of the PRBOOM specific stuff, like different colored text, different automap colors, etc. to get it looking more like vanilla DOOM. I kind of like the "different colored numbers for low stats" feature though, I'll probably keep that.

Haven't looked at it yet, but I'd like to figure out why going into "settings" always crashes the game. I'd like to try to fix the chainsaw sound bug, but haven't had much luck yet. Also want to add a WAD loading menu at startup (which I saw someone else did already, but they never released the source).

And I might add green blood for Hellknights and blue blood for Cacodemons... ¬_¬ There's a mod like that for ZDOOM DOOM ][ and I kind of like it.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Asaki wrote:
WinterMute wrote:The latest DS Doom is 1.2.1...
When I started this, 1.1.2 was the most recent version. I kind of forgot about it and am just now finishing it up.

I thought about switching to the most recent version, but I'm too lazy to update devkitARM and everything else.
You'll be much better off using the latest tools. Sticking with old versions will make it difficult to incorporate your changes into the main DS Doom source tree.
First I turned off the 320x200->256x192 scaling, so that I could use DOOM's internal scaling to get more speed and still have the 256x128 window fill the entire width.
That's something that was on the TODO list to try but I never found the time. Did you get much of a speed improvement? I'd definitely be interested in adding that code.

There are options to have the HUD on the top screen or the bottom screen, it's probably best to not remove that code entirely. It would probably be better to provide an option to turn off the bottom screen if required - there is a setting to turn the automap on & off.
I've changed the buttons to how I like them (and made the B button both run and use, like the GBA port was). Changed the B and A buttons to navigate the menus (which I see has been added to 1.2.1), changed X to strafe (since my R button is broken), etc. I was thinking about making it configurable, but like I said, this is mostly just for me, so I'm not too concerned.
It might be interesting to change the input configuration to be more DS friendly, currently it just fakes the SDL key presses which gets a little awkward.

Gutting most of the PRBOOM specific stuff, like different colored text, different automap colors, etc. to get it looking more like vanilla DOOM. I kind of like the "different colored numbers for low stats" feature though, I'll probably keep that.
Also want to add a WAD loading menu at startup (which I saw someone else did already, but they never released the source).
You can already select WADs with 1.2.1 using argv files via the latest homebrew menu, there's no real need for a selection menu in DS Doom itself.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

Asaki

Post by Asaki » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:50 pm

WinterMute wrote:Sticking with old versions will make it difficult to incorporate your changes into the main DS Doom source tree.
Like I said, this is just for me really, didn't think you'd want any of this stuff in the main project. Not to mention, my code is pretty awful, you'd be better off coding it yourself.
WinterMute wrote:Did you get much of a speed improvement?
Go down three screen sizes (or more) from fullscreen and see for yourself ;)

Don't know if there was any additional speed increases from removing the 320x200 scaling though. Kind of seems like it, but it's probably just a placebo effect.
WinterMute wrote:You can already select WADs with 1.2.1 using argv files via the latest homebrew menu...
I looked at that. It did not please me.