devkitARM

Add your suggestions for toolchain improvements here.
codycox.c

devkitARM

Post by codycox.c » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:22 pm

I tried devkitARM. It is pretty cool being able to make ds games with it, BUT it is very hard to make any games compared to using SDL. Because making ds games in devkitARM is so hard and takes so long I will not be using it any more. I will start to use SDL to program computer games for now on. I hope that in a couple of years devkitARM will become MUCH easier to use.

codycox.c

Re: devkitARM

Post by codycox.c » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:24 pm

I take back everything that I said except for it being hard sometimes. I started using it again!

AntonioND

Re: devkitARM

Post by AntonioND » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 pm

DevkitARM will never be as easy as SDL. ¿Why? Because the DS/GBA/etc are not PCs. You can't try to code the same way a very limited machine as a very powerful one. As simple as that.

DS coding is not for beginners. You need to know how to code efficiently if you really want to do something good. If you have never coded, you shouldn't start with this machine.

Anyway, it is not really THAT different. All you have to know is how the VRAM mappings work. If you don't know at least a bit of it, you will never be able to code for the DS. And that can't be simplified a lot... The rest is the same in every machine.