FBX and libogc?

lynxsolaris

FBX and libogc?

Post by lynxsolaris » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Hello All,

I'm curious to see what formats others are using to create their models for Gamecube/Wii. Is anyone using FBX? I've been using the FBX SDK to import my models into games for other systems for some time now and was wondering if anyone here is doing something similar here for Nintendo homebrew. If not, what model formats are you guys using?

Thanks!

Izhido

Re: FBX and libogc?

Post by Izhido » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Interesting.

Care for a little explanation on what is this FBX thing you mentioned?

Would be quite enlightening (for people like me, at least)...

lynxsolaris

Post by lynxsolaris » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:50 pm

FBX is a generic file format that is platfrom independent. It is currently owned by Autodesk which means models can be manipulated in 3ds Max and Maya, along with other 3d modeling tools (like Blender, etc). Autodesk provides the SDK at no charge, so you can write your own model/scene importer/exporter, etc. I use it in my DirectX projects and was wondering if anyone was successful in doing so on the GameCube/Wii. Since GX works more closely to the hardware than DirectX, I'm assuming more work would need to be done to get this to work. Anyway, you can find info about it on Autodesk's website.

capz

Post by capz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:41 am

i'd like to know if anyone has a solution similar to what OP is asking for. model formats with animation that load up and play easily would be very useful. the lack of anything even remotely close is why i've decided not to pursue a 3d game for the GC

antidote

Post by antidote » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:12 pm

If you can translate the information to something GX can use, then you can certainly use FBX. FBX is simply a container, nothing more.