C++ Hello World Example Help?

support for the powerpc toolchain
Ghost6765

C++ Hello World Example Help?

Post by Ghost6765 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:23 pm

I need some help to write the 'Hello World' program in C++ for the wii. I can easily do it in C but not in C++. Do I have to write all the functions by myself for C++ like

Code: Select all

Video_Init();
or is it already available.

Any help is appreciated,

:)

Thanks,

Ghost6765

vuurrobin

Re: C++ Hello World Example Help?

Post by vuurrobin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:55 pm

you can call c functions from c++ the same way as in c. c++ is backward compatible with c for the most part.

you also could have tried it yourself and see if it worked.

Ghost6765

Post by Ghost6765 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Is there a different syntax?

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:15 pm

There is no difference in syntax between C and C++, the only difference is in the way the functions are created in the binary - and no I will not go into the differences here as it is well documented on the internet and beyond the scope of the support from the devkitPro forums.

You can still write a game or application in C++ that uses pure C functions without any problems. I'm not sure of your background in coding, but from the questions that you have asked so far may I sugest that you read a book on C/C++ coding practices / styles as the questions that you have asked have been very basic / noob level questions.

Ghost6765

Post by Ghost6765 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:50 pm

Yeah I tryed it and it and it worked but the dol & elf were taking up a loooooot of memory for hello world. I am a a fairly new programmer and I am making wii games in C++. And how long is it expected for me to make my own 3D Game Engine by myself?

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:23 pm

It took a friend of mine about 2 weeks to code up a full wolfenstien like 3D engine for DOS, he now works for Ubisoft the lucky git.
Depending on your knoweldge and skill level in understanding 3D systems (like MIPS, LOD, POV, etc) then it can take between a couple of months and a few years, IIRC the team behind Serious Sam took 7 + years to write thier engine, and Serious Sam was just the demo to show off the engine.

So the answer to your question really depends on how good you want the engine to be, and what features you want to have in it.

Ghost6765

Post by Ghost6765 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks for the reply, and how does a 3D Engine work anyway, is it possible for me by myself to make an engine to just draw coloured shapes. I'm a total noob at 3D stuff.

:)

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:14 pm

There are a lot of tutorials out there, in books and online.

A good online tutorial series from the top of my head is from NeHe (http://nehe.gamedev.net) as it covers OpenGL, which can be used as a basis for Wii GX coding I think, I know that the NDS does have an OpenGL like interface.