How to program "pipes" - interprocess comunnication in IOS

support for the powerpc toolchain
PirxThePilot

How to program "pipes" - interprocess comunnication in IOS

Post by PirxThePilot » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 am

Hello Wii Hackers :D ,

Yesterday, "devkitPPC" has been loaded and installed by me (Win32, but today I'm going to install Linux version too). I complied, few samples wich were included with "devkitPPC" (I have old Wii with Wii Menu 3.3 and "Homebrew Channel" installed) and they run correctly :)

Today I tried to run "WiiShell" developed by Aksommerville, but I experienced a difficulty with it. When "Homebrew Channel" tried to load WiiShell, after some time an error has been reported.
Today I am going to install "devkitPPC" on box with Sabayon Linux and compile "WiiShell". The source code has been attached by Aksommerville (the developer). The application is written in clear OOP C++ (and I think that I am able to understand most of this code. I would like to add "interprocess comunicattion - pipes" and grep command to this simple shell.

My question is: how to implement "pipes" like in bash or ksh using IOS (i have only original IOS installed). Could anybody give me samples of programming with IOS (I was looking this in google, but it was unsuccesfull), or link to comprehensive tutorial how to program with Wii IOS (file system clear examples are in WiiShell source code). Could you give me valuable links to tutorials about Wii programming (I found that Wii has on its board PowerPC - called Broadway and ATI Hollywood GPU).

Thanks in advance,
Pirx

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: How to program "pipes" - interprocess comunnication in I

Post by WinterMute » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Sorry, libogc has no means to implement interprocess communication given that it's not a multiprocessing environment. All Wii applications written with libogc have complete control of the machine and multiple processes can't be run simultaneously.

It sounds like you might be better off looking at Wii Linux.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog