Win Installer: Option for no env variables/registry changes

Add your suggestions for toolchain improvements here.
Maple

Win Installer: Option for no env variables/registry changes

Post by Maple » Tue May 27, 2008 5:27 am

For my purposes, it'd be useful if the Windows installer (devkitProUpdater) had an option to NOT add/update environment variables. I generally do most of my coding using a flash drive to store devkitPro, so generally those environment variables are useless to me anyways. (I have my own file with variable definitions in it.) If environment variables were enabled by default and had to be unchecked to disable, then there would be no change in the installation's final results for the general masses. (For that matter, an option to disable adding a directory to the Start menu would be great too.)

Also, I would guess that there are some registry changes made as well. This is a bit troublesome when I want to use the installer to create multiple copies of the files for compiling in various versions of devkitARM/libnds/etc. (e.g. or maintaining old code.) Once again, an option to disable registry modifications would be good.

Obvious counter-arguments: Why don't I just go delete the environment variables/Start Menu folders? Why don't I simply install the packages from the zips instead? (The answer to this second question is that I don't want to have to memorize the folder structure and idiosyncrasies of the packages in devkitPro just to get the stuff installed each time.)