devkitPPC cannot find powerpc-eabi-gcc

support for the powerpc toolchain
WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: devkitPPC cannot find powerpc-eabi-gcc

Post by WinterMute » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:29 pm

Are you using some kind of vpn? The installer downloads some machine specific files and I see recent blocked attempts to download those files from a Microsoft ip. Unfortunately people choose to ignore us when we ask them not to use pacman in CI so we've had to block the ip ranges that run github CI.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

limegradient

Post by limegradient » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:15 pm

I was using a VPN because I am using my schools network which was blocking github, after disabling it the package did install. I am still getting the issue but now with powerpc-eabi-g++. This is a fresh install and I do not know what is going on.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:49 pm

It's definitely odd. Are you getting that com.apple.provenance attribute on files in the fresh install? What macOS version is this?

Personal Blog

limegradient

Post by limegradient » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:14 pm

I am no longer getting the com.apple.provenance attribute, I am getting no attribute. I am on MacOS Ventura 13.1

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:35 pm

The @ is gone from the end of the files? The other permissions look OK?

Personal Blog

limegradient

Post by limegradient » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:54 am

The other permissions look ok but when I run the xattr command I dont get any attributes. I am running this: xattr -l /opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC/bin/powerpc-eabi-gcc*

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:42 am

limegradient wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:54 am The other permissions look ok but when I run the xattr command I dont get any attributes. I am running this: xattr -l /opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC/bin/powerpc-eabi-gcc*
You said the problem was powerpc-eabi=g++ this time though? Are you still getting that @ on the end of the permissions list?

Personal Blog

limegradient

Post by limegradient » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:22 pm

I am not getting the @ on the end of the permissions list

limegradient

Post by limegradient » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:52 pm

WinterMute wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:42 am
limegradient wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:54 am The other permissions look ok but when I run the xattr command I dont get any attributes. I am running this: xattr -l /opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC/bin/powerpc-eabi-gcc*
You said the problem was powerpc-eabi=g++ this time though? Are you still getting that @ on the end of the permissions list?
Ok so I was working on my Windows PC with a GRRLIB Error and while trying to find the solution for it, I found the solution for my error here. I just needed to add the bin folder in devkitPPC to my PATH and restart my terminal. Thank you for being very patient with me and helping me out!

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:31 pm

Heh, that's actually not the solution. We recommend not adding the toolchains to the path because it can and will end up interfering with other tools. It didn't even occur to me that it was a path issue rather than a permissions issue because the example Makefiles don't require the tools adding to the path. What may be happening is that the terminal requires restarting to pick up the DEVKITPRO & DEVKITPPC variables - fwiw I've found that sometimes the terminal loses these variables if the mac is left in sleep for a while.

Whatever you're doing with GRRLIB (which we neither support nor recommend) should be using a devkitPro stock makefile and not require additions to the path. You'll find this under /opt/devkitpro/examples somewhere https://github.com/devkitPro/wii-exampl ... /templates.

Personal Blog